Tuesday 2 June 2015

Precision Voltage Reference

So +Scullcom Hobby Electronics released a video about updating the voltage reference he originally designed. And after a rummage in my parts box, I managed to find a few more IC's that should do the job:

A Little Rummaging...

Primarily I needed a voltage reference: I found a REF03GP - 2.5V reference with an initial accuracy of up to 0.6% (15mV) and a Tempco of anywhere between 10 & 50ppm/oC - not the best but good enough, hopefully can trim it out.

Next on shopping list, Voltage doubler: I found three INA134's - like a INA105, but for audio applications. Seen as we are working with DC, I don't think this will be an issue. So now I can go from 2.5V, to 5V, to 10V using 2 of these amplifiers. Not sure how close the 10V will be after 2 stages of amplification, but will see.

Next; a split rail generator: closest I could find was a ICL7660 - meaning I could make a negative rail, but also means I have to generate my own positive rail. Hmmm... will have to do some digging or maybe design a voltage multiplier or joule thief?

Brief description of the circuit

I'll be using a 9V PP3 cell to power this project, with associated protection circuitry, battery monitoring and indication. The 9V cell will power the reference and the split rail generator.

The split rail generator will power the Op-amps only, so it doesn't have to be high power.

The reference will then be amplified once to 5V by one amp and then again by the second amp to 10V. I'm hoping that the 10V isn't so far out after the second round of amplification that it makes it useless, but we'll seen on the breadboard.

Proposed System


And then...

Once I've tested it on a breadboard, I'll then solder it up on some strip board and then stick it in an enclosure with some binding terminals

No comments:

Post a Comment